Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Sick Baby...
In all of Sawyer's 7 months, he has never once been truly sick...until this past weekend. He has had minor cold/coughs, but they have been attributed to seasonal allergies/weather changes/teething. This weekend/week, he has been full-blown sick!! Thursday and Friday of last week, his coughing and congestion picked up. He woke up from his nap on Friday feeling hot, so my mom gave him some Tylenol. I picked him up from her around 3:30. When we got home I checked his temp- it was 101.8! That's high for him. The only time he has ever had a fever before, it never got over 100.5 or so. We continued to monitor his temperature through the afternoon and evening. Giving him Motrin or Tylenol every 4 hours. I checked him in the middle of the night, around midnight. His temp was 102.1. That had me a little concerned. I called our pediatrician's on-call nurse. She told me to give him a tepid bath to help cool him down. After an hour of watching him, I checked his temp again, it was 101.1. So then we all went back to sleep. I continued to monitor him every couple of hours during the night. Saturday morning, I went ahead and called our peds office and requested an appointment during their weekend hours. I took him in at 11 am. The doctor, not our normal one, checked his ears, throat, chest, etc. She said his ears were fine, but his throat was red. She tested him for strep and the flu, just to be safe- both were negative, thank goodness! She attributed his red throat to sinus drainage. She said the cold was viral and sent us on our merry way. We were to continue to monitor his fever and treat with Motrin/Tylenol. When we got home, I checked his temp again, and it was 102.8. After more meds and a good nap, it went down significantly. By Saturday evening, he had very little fever, if any. Sunday and Monday, we continued to take it easy and rest. Sawyer was still fussy, but acting more like himself. He had no fever, but still had a runny nose and minor coughing. I think his teeth were bothering him more than anything! He has 3 coming in all at once (2 up top and 1 on the bottom). I'm glad I had the day off from work on Monday for one more extra day of rest- we all needed it! During the night on Monday and Tuesday nights, he coughed a good deal. We had elevated his crib and turned on the humidifier full blast. Based on how he was acting the last couple of days, he did not seem like he was getting any better. He was snottier and was coughing more last night and this morning. We decided to take him back to the peds to see our regular doctor. My mom took him this morning at 8:40. His chest was clear. His throat was still a little red. Dr. B. also checked his ears. Looks like Sawyer is developing an ear infection in his right ear. If we would have waited until tomorrow to take him in, it would have been full-blown. This is his first ear infection ever! Glad we made it 7 months without one. Dr. B. prescribed amoxicillin to treat the infection, and says he should be feeling better by Friday. Let's hope so...Will and I are tired of the fussy, cranky baby that has taken over our sweet boy! I am flat worn out! While Sawyer has been sleeping relatively well, minus the coughing, I, on the other hand, have been waking up through the night to check on him. All in all, he has been handling not feeling well pretty good. He has been taking his bottles and eating his fruits, veggies, and cereal really well. He has wanted to be held, but not cuddled. He will play by himself independently for only a short period of time. Here's to hoping we are back to normal by the weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment